TinkerTool System 5.0
TinkerTool System 4 is a collection of system utility features helping you in performing advanced administration tasks on Apple Macintosh computers. The application makes use of a self-adapting user interface which automatically adjusts to the computer model and to the version of OS X you are running. All options available in the current situation are accessible via "panes", very similar to the techniques you already know from the System Preferences application. The features are controlled via a single window which allows you to use the application as a general toolbox and First Aid assistant.
- built-in maintenance features of OS X, usually not visible on the graphical user interface;
- extended file operations, not available in the OS X Finder;
- the possibility to access advanced system settings which are not visible in System Preferences;
- genuine and unique features of TinkerTool System, designed to resolve typical real-world problems of administrators and to fix the effects of certain defects ("bugs") in the operating system;
- an emergency tool to troubleshoot and repair OS X in cases where the graphical user interface is no longer starting correctly or the user account of the system administrator has been damaged;
- features to protect your privacy, e.g., by reviewing and editing the list of Internet cookies stored for your user account;
- functions to collect advanced information about the hardware, operating system, and applications.
Note: Now requires OS X 10.12 or later
- Added full support for macOS Sierra. Because there are significant differences between macOS and OS X, version 5 is designed as separate application and does not support previous operating systems. Current users of TinkerTool System 4 can upgrade for free and don’t need to re-register.
- TinkerTool System 5 contains all new features also added to TinkerTool System 4.9.
- Added new feature to retrieve high memory usage reports.
- Added several new features to support the new logging and tracing subsystem of macOS. Logs can be reviewed, be converted and saved to text files, and be transferred to other computers.
- The user interface to disable support for IPv6 on selected network interfaces has been redesigned completely.
- The feature to control trim support for third-party solid state disks had to be removed, because System Integrity Protection no longer permits this for third-party applications. The feature to review the current trim settings is still present and has moved to the Diagnostics pane.
- The option to delete files securely had to be removed, because this feature is no longer available in macOS and modern Macs no longer have the necessary hardware.
- The setting to support pre-Lion behavior of screen management was removed, because it is no longer working with macOS.
- The setting to disable the Bonjour sleep proxy client was removed, because it is blocked by System Integrity Protection.
- The feature to remove adware was removed because this work is now taken over by Gatekeeper and Apples invisible Malware Removal Tool.
- The setting to disable the sudden motion sensor of mobile computers was removed, because up-to-date computers no longer have the required hardware.
- The settings to modify the Safe Sleep feature was removed, because they can no longer be supported as expected with macOS.
- The setting to control the sleep behavior of the display lid of mobile computers has moved to the System pane.