Mellel is the leading word processor for macOS and has been widely considered the industry standard since its inception. Mellel focuses on writers and scholars for technical writing and multilingual word processing. It offers special tools to help you write and organize long documents easily. If you need multilingual support or are writing bi-directional text, Mellel is just the thing for you: Arabic, Persian, Hebrew, and Syriac never looked better on a Mac. Even if you don't need all the bells and whistles, Mellel is still the right choice for you: clean, stable, and easy to use.
A Word Processor You Can Trust
Mellel gets the job done. It’s considered the leading word processor for complex documents. It’s stable. It’s trustworthy under real work pressure. Once you get it, you'll wonder why you wrote with anything else.
An Outline and an Outliner
Mellel's superb Outline feature allows you to organize your work. View, edit, and navigate your document. Reorganize sections with a click of your mouse.
Find. Replace. Repeat.
Mellel’s advanced find and replace tool turns hours of editing into minutes. Everything in any sequence can be searched, found, switched, and fixed. Save your find actions. Use them again and again to transform all your documents in seconds.
The Best Multi-language Support
Mellel was created to support multiple languages and script systems within the same document. It was the first and still is the best word processor for right-to-left writing systems.
The Best Index Tool
Create your index in half the time. Mellel’s Index feature tops similar tools in other word processors, and rivals dedicated Index applications.
What's New:Version 4.1.0:
Note: Version 4 is a paid upgrade from previous versions.
- Native DOCX import
- Character tracking
- Auto-kerning for most TT fonts
- Minimum word spacing
- alternating colour for outline items
- no double indent for wrapping outline items
- no room reserved for outline item icon if no icon is used
- option to truncate outline items instead of wrapping the lines
- better distinction to the remark in outline items by using a vertical line next to it
- limiting outline item indent (normally based on font size)
- "soft-click" (click after a pause on a selected item) on outline items will enter editing only when clicking on the the actual text of the item, clicking outside will navigate to the beginning of the section
- Auto-title palette
- Auto-title palette now showing the flow level of selected Auto-title with a checkmark next to the flow name when an Auto-title is selected in text
- Auto-title palette now effects and reflects the selection in the outline pane
- continuation paragraphs as explicit attributes
- allowing to set continuation paragraph indent and margin per auto-title level
- allowing to override continuation level indent and margin in document and save it into the auto-title setup
- indent/outdent for multi-paragraphs (indenting auto title paragraphs as auto-title paragraphs and continuation paragraphs as continuation paragraphs)
- indicating level of auto-title paragraph or continuation paragraph in auto-title palette
- applying levels using palette by manipulating the level of auto-title or continuation according to the type of paragraph
- Story points are drawn on their own line with a default font and default alignment and margin with a background and lines along the sides.
- Preferences option to set the font size for story points
- "soft-click" on story points in the pane will only enter editing if the click is within the text of the title. Otherwise it will navigate to the story point
- reduced minimum width for auxiliary pane (outline, index, story)
- adjusted layout for character palette, popover and style editor
- adjusted layout for character palette, popover and style editor
- improved spacing for preferences toolbar, avoiding clashes and truncation of item names in certain localisation
- removed registration prompt from "Welcome to Mellel" window
- simpler and clearer registration prompt
- better display of checkmark/minus in selected table cells in the palettes
- ruler - drawing and allowing to click tabs that lie beyond the frame
- ruler - Added some fudging when calculating opposite tab so we can catch the tab even if it is right on the frame edge or a little beyond
- RTF/DOCX import font matching: looking up the "Regular" face when font name is family name instead of taking the first family member
- Fixed an issue that caused strikethrough to be drawn at the bottom of the letters instead of the middle under High Sierra
- Fixed an issue that caused story points names not to be updated after editing the name in the pane and pressing return
- Fixed an issue that caused "diamond" styles to appear in a document after adding an index style to the style set
- Fixed a bug that caused pressing the "Superscript" checkbox for note symbol attributes in the edit note style not to have any effect
- Fixed an issue that caused the "Open in Mellel" service not to function
- Fixed an issue that caused changes to remarks in story character and story location to be lost when clicking on some other element in the pane
- Fixed an issue that caused the style set list to be shown unsorted in the menu and style set editor list under High Sierra
- Corrected tooltip for Increase/Decrease level buttons in outline pane for both the command name and keyboard shortcut
- Fixed an issue that caused changes in image title filed to be lost when dismissing the image edit popover without first moving to a different field or pressing enter
- Fixed a problem that made image/text box action buttons to look bad on non-retina displays.
- Fixed an issue that caused notes with the "below text" position to be exported to RTF as endnotes rather then footnote
- Correctly importing "below text" footnotes as below text and not as "bottom of page" footnotes from RTF
- Fixed an issue that would cause bibliography scanning to override character attributes applied to citation if said attributes were applied when the citation was in final form
- Fixed an issue that would cause Mellel to reject a username when activating Mellel if the username is copied along with a terminating CR or LF
- Fixed an issue that caused "diamond" styles to appear in the paragraph and character style lists following working with edit Auto-title flows sheet or even switching between apps.
- Many localization fixes, especially with the German localization
- Title: Mellel 4.1
- Developer: Ori Redler
- Compatibility: OS X 10.6 +
- Language: English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Includes: K'ed by TNT
- Size: 104 MB