Image upscalers are getting more accessible every day, and we now have apps that simplify the process to such an extent that anyone can do it with a couple of clicks.
Upscayl is an open-source, cross-platform app that should be suitable for most scenarios. It doesn’t offer a lot of customization options, but it supports several AI models and even allows you to import your own. It comes with a minimalistic interface and supports batch processing.
Simple upscaling tool
- Getting started is easy. You just need to import the image you want to upscale, either via drag and drop or by navigating to its location, select the preferred upscaling model, and then start things up. You’ll be able to track the upscaling process in the preview panel.
- Once the job is done, you can compare the original and enhanced images. However, it would be nice if you were able to zoom in while doing so, as it would make it easier to spot differences.
Integrates multiple AI models and can load custom ones
- At present, you can choose between Real-ESRGAN, Remacri, UltraMix, UltraSharp, and a digital art model. These can provide different results, but other than selecting the upscaling factor, no other settings can be customized.
- If you’ve downloaded your own AI models, you can load them from the app’s settings.
Useful for those who need a quick, straightforward upscaler
- Upscayl does a good job most of the time, but upscaling can be quite tricky to get just right. That’s why more complex applications let you customize settings like noise removal and sharpening, which can iron out defects brought on by generating additional pixels.
- If you’re looking for an easy way to upscale a few images, and you’re willing to do a bit of trial and error when it comes to finding the right AI model, this app should usually be adequate, but a more advanced tool is needed for in-depth fine-tuning.
- We're introducing MacOS Apple Chip support in v2.8.1
- HUGE codebase refactor, to save us devs some time
- Batch upscale will now show you progress
- We've integrated better compression and scaling
- Fixed the empty upscaled image bug
- Added helpful tips for Upscayl options in settings
- Added performance mode reminder for Windows users
- Fix large image upscale performance bug
- Auto-update for MacOS, sorry for ignoring for so long
- Fixed the annoying Upscayl Cloud bug. It won't appear again and again and you can make it disappear like it's MAGIC!
- Fix re-upscayl folder progress bug
- Title: Upscayl 2.8.1
- Developer: Upscayl
- Compatibility: macOS 10.13 or later
- Language: English
- Includes: Free
- Size: 331.17 MB