BetterZip lets you quickly inspect archives without first extracting their contents.
- Extract Only Files You Really Need: If you only need a few files or folders from a larger archive, you don’t have to extract the whole thing. Simply drag the files you need from the BetterZip window to any Finder window or the desktop.
- Open Archives Without Extracting: Not only can BetterZip open archives without first extracting them but you can also search for a file using the iTunes-like interface. BetterZip can open and extract archives with the most common formats: ZIP, SIT, TAR, XAR, GZip, BZip2, RAR, 7-Zip, CPIO, ARJ, LZH/LHA, JAR, WAR, CAB, ISO, CHM, RPM, DEB, NSIS, BIN, HQX.
- Create Archives: Simply drag files and folders from your hard drives, disks, or network places into your new zip file. You no longer have to copy all the files into a temporary folder first. The supported formats are ZIP, TAR, GZip and BZip2 compressed TAR, XAR, 7-ZIP, and RAR (using the external RAR commandline tool). Large archives can also be split.
- Protect Your data: BetterZip can protect your data with a password and create WinZip compatible AES-256 encrypted archives. 7-zip and rar archives can also be protected.
- Update Archives: Add new or updated files to existing archives. Remove any file or folder from an archive, or even move files around inside the archive as if it were a normal folder.
- Make Archives Compatible: Strip Mac specific files and resource forks from archives for best compatibility with systems like Windows or Linux.
- Added a hidden setting to make a folder expand when double clicked in the archive window instead of extracting and viewing it
- Added a hidden setting to show the real password length in the preset configuration (instead of always five bullets)
- Added support for Android APK files
- BetterZip now respects the System Preferences’ setting Sound > "Play user interface sound effects"
- Enhanced the QL preview for the weirdly-zoomed Spotlight window
- Added .mscz as supported file extension to the QL generator
- Changed the default for concurrent operations to 4 instead of auto, because the system would max out all processors
- Clarified the help page for the preset configuration
- Switching to flat-list view mode didn’t work correctly on macOS 10.12 Sierra
- Fixed the weird focus behavior when editing text fields in the preset configuration on macOS 10.12 Sierra
- Changing hidden settings in the German help system didn’t work correctly on macOS 10.12 Sierra
- When creating multi-part RAR archives through the BetterZip service, other multi-part RAR archives in the same folder were moved to the trash
- After deleting all presets, the preset configuration didn’t work correctly under certain conditions
- AppleScript: destination:original wasn’t handled correctly
- The options in the save panel weren’t always set correctly with the preset values, if the preset used "Show save panel"
- Duplicating a preset sometimes didn’t copy the password to the new preset
- The sheet with the progress bar could get stuck when the archive window was minimized during a lengthy operation