BetterZip lets you quickly inspect archives without first extracting their contents.
- Extract Only Files You Really Need: If you only need a few files or folders from a larger archive, you don’t have to extract the whole thing. Simply drag the files you need from the BetterZip window to any Finder window or the desktop.
- Open Archives Without Extracting: Not only can BetterZip open archives without first extracting them but you can also search for a file using the iTunes-like interface. BetterZip can open and extract archives with the most common formats: ZIP, SIT, TAR, XAR, GZip, BZip2, RAR, 7-Zip, CPIO, ARJ, LZH/LHA, JAR, WAR, CAB, ISO, CHM, RPM, DEB, NSIS, BIN, HQX.
- Create Archives: Simply drag files and folders from your hard drives, disks, or network places into your new zip file. You no longer have to copy all the files into a temporary folder first. The supported formats are ZIP, TAR, GZip and BZip2 compressed TAR, XAR, 7-ZIP, and RAR (using the external RAR commandline tool). Large archives can also be split.
- Protect Your dаta: BetterZip can protect your data with a password and create WinZip compatible AES-256 encrypted archives. 7-zip and rar archives can also be protected.
- Update Archives: Add new or updated files to existing archives. Remove any file or folder from an archive, or even move files around inside the archive as if it were a normal folder.
- Make Archives Compatible: Strip Mac specific files and resource forks from archives for best compatibility with systems like Windows or Linux.
What's New:Version 4.2 (for macOS 10.10 and later)
- Added support for macOS 10.14 Mojave’s Dark Mode.
- BetterZip now has a menu bar icon onto which you can drag items and that has a shortcut menu with the most important functions. Activate the menu bar icon in the BetterZip preferences on the tab “General”.
- You can now specify in extraction presets what BetterZip should do, if there are conflicts with already existing files or folders.
- BetterZip now supports zipx files that use xz compression as well as WinZip split files (z01, z02, …)
- Added an option to not “show folders” when in flat list view. Toggle this option via the View menu.
- Added a Polish translation. Thank you, Bartosz!
- Filenames containing numbers are now sorted numerically like in Finder.
- The “Replace File” dialog shows more clearly which file or folder is older and which is newer.
- Changed the logic of the option “Quit after last window closed”: only archive windows will trigger the quitting, not the preferences, transcript, or queue windows.
- Show combined progress of all windows (not only queue) in Dock tile (and menubar item).
- Added a button for testing the archive in the warning message window when an error occurs during opening.
- Added an AppleScript command to get the selected item paths in an archive window.
- The Drop Bar is now forced to the front when dragging files over it.
- Add a setting to not show the queue window when queue operations are started. Turn it on in BetterZip > Preferences > Advanced.
- The encoding of text files is now automatically detected when previewing text files in the preview sidebar.
- You can now select multiple files in the File > Open panel.
- Dropping files (especially a mix of supported archives and non-archive file types) onto the BetterZip Dock icon did not work reliably.
- When switching view mode without a sorting column selected in the table, BetterZip could crash.
- BetterZip will no longer allow to extract zip files outside of the destination folder. (Thanks, Meituan Financial Security Team!)
- Fixed the opening and extraction of plain xz archives.
- For some users the BetterZip Finder button did not work.
- Extracting multi-part, password protected rar archives with CRC errors could lead to an endless password entry loop.
- When editing a file type in Preferences > Files and clicking Ok without making any changes in the window, the type disappeared from the list.
- PDF files showed only the first page in the preview sidebar.
- Compressing a folder with a space character at the end of the name didn’t work.
- Title: BetterZip 4.2.1 (1439)
- Developer: MacItBetter, Robert Rezabek
- Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
- Language: Multilangual
- Includes: K'ed by TNT
- Size: 13.39 MB